Join SCT in utilizing this list of resources to continue the expansion of diverse voices and storytellers you and your family are reading, watching, and listening to as we go into this holiday season.
Know of other resources that should be included? Let us know in the comments below.
Food is where we meet, where we build, where we struggle, and where we survive.
- Peoples Kitchen Collective
My family is not religious, but when we eat dinner together, we give thanks. We include the rain, the sun, the moon, the soil, and the wind. Our gratitude starts with "Thank you to all the hands that touched this food on its way to our table." It's meant to acknowledge not just my husband or me, who cooked the meal, but everyone from the farm to the grocery store to our home who grew, harvested, fed, slaughtered, transported, stocked, and bagged the food in our meal. It's meant to acknowledge that it takes a lot of labor from many, many people for us to eat. It's meant to make visible the people we are connected to through our meal.
- Mia Birdsong from How We Show Up; Reclaiming Family, Friendship, and Community
Thanksgiving from the Native American Perspective:
- A List of 32 Native American Children's Books - Coloursofus.com
- 7 Thanksgiving Books for Kids Written from the Native Perspective - coolmompicks.com
- 3 Children's Books About Thanksgiving from Native Perspectives - Medium
- How to Talk to Your Kids About Thanksgiving - NPR
- Thanksgiving Lesson Plan Booklet from a Native American Perspective
Indigenous Artists & Organizations:
A Kids play about Racism: Check out the resources developed for your family to engage on the topic of racism
- A Kids Play About Racism official site
- Active Audience Guide - curated activities for Pre K - 5th grade students, and tools to help you continue the conversation around racism.
- A Kids Play About Racism: Timeout W/ Brodrick Podcast - During this episode, SCT Education Coordinator Brodrick Ryans interviews Khalia Davis, Davied Morales, and Justin Ellington who are all a part of the creative team for A Kids Play About Racism.
- A Kids Book About Racism - Read and purchase the book by Jelani Memory that inspired the creative team to have conversations about racism and to bring these essential discussions to families in a new way.